It’s difficult to explain academic writing because it can be written for many reasons. In response to what your teacher has taught you, how do you present your ideas? We can say this as academic writing. In this, all we have to tell is that we have complete knowledge of a topic. Apart from this academic writing is used in different forms.
Academic writing for education
Anything written to meet the needs of a school or college, we can call it academic writing.
Here is a list of records where scholarly composing is utilized. Some are clear as crystal and some have a concise clarification.
- Books and book reports
- Exploration paper or examination article
- Meeting paper
- Scholastic diary
- Paper and Thesis – These are composed of getting a degree at a school or college.
- Conceptual -This is a short synopsis of a lengthy record.
- Explications -This is a work that clarifies some portion of a specific work.
Types of academic writing
There are four fundamental types.
- Descriptive writing
- Analytical writing
- Persuasive writing
- Critical writing
1. Descriptive writing
This is the most simple type of writing. The purpose of descriptive writing is only that it provides us with the right fact and information.
2. Analytical writing
It is very difficult for a university-level text to be completely descriptive. Most academic writing is analytical. Inside analytical writing, we also include descriptive writing. But the facts and information you have told in groups and parts have to be kept rearranged. Sometimes these categories are already a part of discipline, but In some cases, you have to create them.
The instruction you have to follow for an analytical assignment is: analyze, compare, contrast, relate, and examine.
3. Persuasive writing
In persuasive writing, you always have to be one step ahead of analytical writing. Persuasive writing has all the features that are in analytical writing.
Instruction included in the persuasive writing is: argue, test, discuss, take the position.
4. Critical writing
If you want to do any research or do any undergraduate writing, then critical writing comes in handy. Critical writing has all the features that are available in persuasive writing with a different approach feature. You can give your point of view on any issue or topic in persuasive writing, but if we talk about critical writing, you can consider two points of view including your own.
Purpose of academic writing
If we are working on any academic writing, its objective is to give correct and clear information about the specific topic.
Use the Precise words– If you start writing anything, then always use precise and genuine words. Most students choose words that are not considered right in academic writing, for example:- once a great leader said, most people say, etc. so our main purpose of academic writing is to provide the correct and accurate information to the readers.
Use more accurate language -If we talk about our every day, we use very simple language, but when it comes to academic writing the language becomes more complex. So always use simple and accurate language in academic writing. Your Grammar, phrases, Clauses should all be accurate.
Don’t use informal language– never use informal language in academic writing. Always try to avoid dialect words and short forms.
Detachment – When you are doing academic writing, only at that time you have to pay attention to your objective of the topic. Do not think at all what the audience will think about your topic. When it comes to objectivity, we always talk about the main theme of the topic. Always write the information relevant to the topic.
Academic writing principles
- Cohesion: There should be a smooth movement between the sentence and the paragraph
- Clarity: Whatever you write in your content, it is very important to have clarity of words. Choose your words in such a way that the reader is not disturbed.
- Logical order: Put the information given by you in a logical order. The movement of the information should be in chronological order.
- Completeness: eliminate unnecessary and repetitive information. Always provide the necessary information, which is relevant to the topic.
- Variety: If there is any variation in your content, the reader will always be attracted to it. So always try to add fresh ideas to your content.
- Formality: The tone of your academic writing should be formal. Use refined vocabulary and grammar for your writing.
Structure of academic writing
If we talk about academic writing structure, then it’s beginning, middle and end should be perfect. There are mainly three parts.
- Introduction- The introduction gives the background to the topic and outlines the content written by you.
- Main body- the main part of your writing should be written correctly. Sentences should flow smoothly.
3. Conclusion – In conclusion, all the important points are summarized.
Tips for academic writing
Here are some tips which can help.
- Understand the assignment– If you are going to write something, then before that you have to know what has been asked.
- Brainstorm your ideas– Brainstorming is very important for your academic writing. Do not start your writing until you have gathered your ideas together.
- Prepare an outline– Preparing an outline is another important tip. Make sure your points do not clash with each other. The outline provides all the appropriate information in your paper.
- Language – The language that you will use in your paper, you will have to choose it very carefully.
Hope you have understood the information given by us. If you read this article, then you will understand what is academic writing and how many types it has. Still, if you have any doubts regarding this topic, then you can ask our experts. If you want any kind of academic writing service then contact us.